Firearm Proficiency Steps
Proficiency training theory:
- Formative examination (Open Book) to be completed at home with black pen by yourself.
- Summative examination (Closed Book) to be completed at Redot training facility with black pen after completion of formative exam under supervision. (Take about 2 to 3 hours)
- A practical shoot will commence after completion of the Formative and Summative exam. (Take about 2 hours)
- Range fee of R50 must be paid at the shooting range on the day of the practical shoot.
- Redot will provide the learner with the necessary firearms and ammunition on the day of the shoot, if the learner fail his / her shooting exercise he / she can shoot again but have to buy their own ammunition for the second attempt.
- All relevant personal protective equipment will be provided by Redot.
- Please wear shoes that cover your whole feet. (Brass burns)
- Please do not wear a shirt that have a low cut or V-neck. (Brass burns)
- Bring sunscreen (Outdoor shooting range only)
- Bring a hat(Outdoor shooting range only)
- After you have successfully completed your Formative exam, Summative exam and Practical shoot you will be issued with a Proficiency certificate from Redot Firearm Solutions and a P.F.T.C. Statements of results. (Proficiency certificate and statement of results will only be issued if the learner was found competent)
Competency application: (Waiting period 90 days)
- After you have received both your Redot proficiency certificate and P.F.T.C. Statement of results, you may apply for your SAPS Competency certificate at your nearest Police Station (DFO)
- A SAPS 517 form need to be completed and the following documentation must accompany your application.
- A certified copy of your proficiency certificate and P.F.T.C. statement of Results.
- Certified copy of your ID document x 2
- Proof of home address
- 3 persons to be interviewed
- 2 x Passport photos
- R75-00 Cash for your competency application and is payable at the admin office at your local DFO